Hi everyone. As we all know, the holidays can be a stressful and sometimes lonely and isolating time for LGBTQ2S folks. With that in mind, we at Prism have compiled a list of available groups, resources and holiday hours of local community agencies and programs.
- HIM (Health Initiative for Men) Gay Men’s Drop-in Group. The group meets at their office space at 301 -1033 Davie St every Wednesday from 6.30pm to 8.30pm (buzz 310 to enter)- you can find more details here http://checkhimout.ca/
- Sober QTIPOC (Queer, Trans and Intersex People of Colour) event coming up at Gallery Gachet this Friday December 14th: https://www.facebook.com/
- WISH Drop-In Centre will be open usual hours (6 pm to 11 pm) with the exception of closing at 8 pm on Christmas day. The MAP van is out in community as usual every day from 10:30 pm to 6 am.
- Sexual Assault Support Centre at UBC (SASC) will be closed December 20th, 2012-January 1st, 2013. We will reopen at 9:00am on January 2nd, 2013. http://www.gotconsent.ca/
- Trans Youth Drop-In will be meeting on December 21st and then will not meet until January 4th. http://transhealth.vch.ca/
- AIDS Vancouver will be open Dec. 24, 27 and 28. They will be closed Dec. 25, 26, 31 and Jan.1. They also host a SMART addiction recovery group (for folks who are positive) every Thursday from 4:15 – 5:30. The group Thursday Dec 27th is cancelled but the meeting will be available again Thursday Jan 3rd. http://www.aidsvancouver.org/
- QMUNITY will be closed December 22nd-January 1st. Their youth-specific programming – Gab Youth drop-ins on December 26th and December 28th will be closed. However, the provincial Prideline will be open: they will be checking messages and returning calls throughout the holidays: 604-684-6869 (local) or 1-800-566-1170 (toll-free). http://www.qmunity.ca/
- LGBTQ2S Substance Use Drop-In Group at Daytox is open as follows on Thursday 5-6pm – NO SERVICE INTERRUPTION (open Dec. 13, 20, 27, Jan. 3, 10 and ongoing) *Note - although the group is held at Daytox it is a community drop-in group for any individuals who identify as part of the queer/trans community seeking support with harm reduction, abstinence, or relapse prevention. You do not have to have been through Detox or Daytox to attend this group.
- Boys R Us Drop-In for Male and Trans Identified Sex Workers runs from Tuesdays to Thursdays 7-9 pm. They will be open on Dec. 18, 19, 20, closed on December 25 & 26, open on 27, closed on January 1, open on 2 & 3. \
- HUSTLE - How U Survive This Life Everyday is an outreach and support program of HIM, for men in the sex industry and experiential youth. HUSTLE takes a break from December 24th - Januray 1st and resumes outrreach/netreach/support on Januray 2nd, 2013 www.checkhimout.ca/hustle
- Thursday Trans Drop-In Group will be open on December 20, 27, January 3rd and ongoing. The group runs every Thursday at Three Bridges CHC from 5:30 -7:00 pm. http://transhealth.vch.ca/
- Trans Taking Care of Business- Trans Sex Worker Drop-In Group will be open on Dec. 17th and 31st (but closed on December 24th). The group is ongoing; it runs Mondays from 5:00 -7:00 pm. Please contact April S. for location or questions at 604-734-1514 ext. 4.
- AA Groups are open over the holidays. For more information see their website and under the search for groups section, tick the ‘gay’ box (these are often open to all LGBTQ2S folks). For more info call 604-434-3933 (24 Hours a Day) http://www.vancouveraa.ca/
- The Crisis Line is open 24/7 all year round. The number is 604-872-3311 (local) or 1-800-SUICIDE (toll-free). http://www.crisiscentre.bc.ca/
- Recovery Mondays Presents an Alternative New Years Eve Celebration Jan. 31st 6:30- 10 pm. www.vancouverbuddhistcentre.
- New Year’s Eve Retreat: Sitting and chanting for peace on earth
Monday December 31 7:00-12:00 pm, Mountain Rain Zendo,
2016 Wall St. http://www.mountainrainzen.org